Mariners (Grades 1-4)
The Rolling River Mariner Division includes campers entering grades 1 – 4 and the outcome for Mariner campers is to embark on a voyage of experimentation. Our goal in this division is to expose campers to a variety of activities and as they grow, allow them to focus attention on desired skills and interests through hobby-based programs.
Mariner campers are assigned camp groups based on their incoming grade and gender.
- Group sizes range from 15-20 campers, with the smaller groups emphasized in grades 1 and 2.
- The camper to counselor ratio in the Mariners never exceed 5:1 in grades 1 and 2 and 6:1 in grades 3 and 4.
- Each group is assigned a dedicated, adult head counselor and 2 or 3 assistant counselors to supervise activities and serve as influential mentors for the camp group. CITs (or counselors-in-training) are also assigned to all Mariner groups. CITs are not counted in the camper to counselor ratio.
The Mariner Division schedule epitomizes a traditional day camp experience.
- The day begins with an interactive line-up, followed by a wide array of sports and arts activities tailored to elementary-aged campers.
- All Mariners participate in daily swim instruction, as well a free swim period in our Pool Complex.
- The Mariners are also introduced to more advanced programs, including competitive sports Intramurals, hobby and choice periods, theater productions, tubing/banana boating and other exciting offerings.
All Mariners participate in several off-campus trips to enhance the program and teach campers social and team-building skills.
- Mariners groups attend 3-4 off-campus trips per summer.
- Certain Mariner groups include off-campus weekly activities such as bowling and tennis in their schedule.
- To foster independence, the 3rd and 4th grade campers have the opportunity to attend an optional 2 day/1 night overnight trip as well.